Admin Rights

Post general WPrinter questions, ask for help or discuss printing related issues here.

Moderator: Sergey

Admin Rights

Postby Waggers » May 29th, 2005, 12:38 pm

This may be me being stupid, but.........

We run a Microsoft SBS 2003 network with XP Pro (SP2) workstations.

Should a user log without local admin rights onto a workstation with WPrinter (3.103) installed I get an error saying that the evaluation period has expired.

I don't want to give our users admin rights on the workstations (I prefer to lock them down as tightly as possible) so I'm looking for a way to allow roaming users to use WPrinter.

Regards,
Richard
Waggers

Postby Sergey » May 29th, 2005, 12:39 pm

Hi Richard,

Sorry to hear about your problem. The non-admins should definitely be able to work with a registered copy of WPrinter. I've taken a look at the code and I think I see where the problem is.

The problem is HKLM registry hive access rights related. Even though WPrinter attempts to open a required sub-key as read-only, it erroneously sets the access to "all access", which is not permitted for non-admin users, hence the problem.

BTW, as I was investigating it, I've realized that write access to HKLM hive is required for product registration. Therefore, only admins will be able to complete it successfully.

I'll do more tests in the next few days and try to have a new version ready by Monday.

Thanks for reporting it.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby Waggers » May 29th, 2005, 12:40 pm

Thanks Sergey,
Richard
Waggers

Postby Sergey » May 29th, 2005, 12:40 pm

Richard,

The new private beta build is ready for you to try. This beta will expire a week from Monday. Here's where you can download it from:

http://www.usysware.com/files/WPSetupBeta.exe

Issues addressed in this beta:
1 - Since registration license is per computer and not per user, non-admin users should be able to use WPrinter on the same computer where an admin user has previously registered it. "Not registered..." dialog should be taken care of.
2 - There is an installation shortcut to run WPrinter with log. That's been changed to create the log file under user's profile Application Data\USysWare\WPrinter folder as oppose to installation one.

Please let me know how your test goes. Thanks.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby Waggers » May 29th, 2005, 12:41 pm

Hi Sergey,

I've installed it on 4 machines this morning. I'll let you know what happens!
Richard
Waggers

Postby Sergey » May 29th, 2005, 12:41 pm

Since you've downloaded the beta already, I've taken it offline. Let me know how it goes. Thanks.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby Waggers » May 29th, 2005, 12:41 pm

Well, after 3 days use, all seems well - I've had novice users with absoloutly no admin rights using the beta with no problems at all.
Richard
Waggers

Postby Sergey » May 29th, 2005, 12:42 pm

Glad to hear it works for you. I'll publish the new release either today or tomorrow. Thanks.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby Sergey » May 29th, 2005, 12:42 pm

Richard,

The new non-beta version is up on the web site. Thanks for reporting this problem.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Return to WPrinter Support