Feature request: Sort by best match

Post DPack feature requests here.

Moderator: Sergey

Feature request: Sort by best match

Postby pikacc » March 19th, 2012, 5:00 am

Would it be possible to sort items in browsers (Solution browser, file browser...) by best match?
You know...add new button: Best match (there are buttons match from start, match anywhere, etc...)

It would be sorted by percentage of matched characters compared to total characters in listed item

Example (a stupid one):

MyAutomaticHouseDoor
MyHouse
MyHouseDoor
MyHouseRoof

When I search for 'house door', best match would return first MyHouseDoor (9/11 = 81% match), then MyAutomaticHouseDoor(45% match).
When I search for 'house', it would return MyHouse, then MyHouseDoor, MyHouseRoof and then MyAutomaticHouseDoor.

I think you got it :)

Reason is that we've got stupid class names like above...and sometimes I just write class names from middle.
pikacc
Starting Member

Re: Feature request: Sort by best match

Postby Sergey » March 20th, 2012, 8:03 pm

Sorry, I've been a bit preoccupied for a couple days now on still ongoing things.

Yeah, your request makes sense. The default sort order is by file name within the project. It does sometimes, especially on the large projects, puts the more likely match behind the less likely one(s) due to project name sort order.

With your percentage match approach, would you do an exact match or basically any character one? I'm guessing an exact match should also warrant a better score too. Case in point: 'house' search should list your house entries before say "how to use" ones. Special care and testing will need to take place to not bog down the search performance.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby pikacc » March 28th, 2012, 10:44 am

Thank you for your interest in this feature.

I think that best would be to match whole words, so 'house door' would match only names containing 'house' and 'door'. But I don't know exactly how your matching algorithm works. It should work also by matching by single characters. You're right about 'house' and 'how to use'. Well, DPack performance is very good, best I've seen.
pikacc
Starting Member

Postby pikacc » March 8th, 2013, 11:37 am

How is it going? Any chance this feature gets implemented?

It could match by words, e.g.:
"y sm ho" would find "MySmallHouse", because it contains "y", "sm" and "ho", ratio would be 5/12 = 41,66%
"ysmho" wouldn't find "MySmallHouse", because it does not contain "ysmho"

We're having quite large project and this would be very welcome feature :)
Thank you
pikacc
Starting Member

Postby Sergey » March 8th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Haven't gotten to that I'll be honest with you. Let me make it a top priority for the next minor release. Thanks for reminding it to me.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Return to DPack Wish List