General Options screwed up with nonstandard monitor dpi

Post general DPack questions or problem reports here.

Moderator: Sergey

General Options screwed up with nonstandard monitor dpi

Postby Chris Nahr » January 30th, 2009, 5:10 am

Another little thing I noticed: the General page of the DPack Options does not tolerate an increased monitor dpi. I'm running at 120 dpi instead of the default 96 dpi, and here's how this page looks like:

The controls on the page are still usable but it doesn't look very pretty. :) The other pages of the DPack Options set are fine, it's just the General page that's screwed up.
Chris Nahr

Postby Sergey » January 30th, 2009, 12:20 pm

Hi Chris,

Yeah, that doesn't look good. :shock:

I am running out of real estate on General page, believe it or not. Per Microsoft, Tools|Options pages must support low display resolutions. I could barely fit it into one page there and just didn't want to introduce yet another page. But I may have no choice there with the scaling issue like that.

I think I might end up adding a Miscellaneous page right below General one.

Thanks for reporting it.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby Chris Nahr » February 1st, 2009, 4:09 am

That's strange, some of the standard pages such as Fonts & Colors look just as busy as the DPack General page. Anyway, perhaps you could simply put the entire page into a scroll viewer instead -- Microsoft does that sometimes for very long options pages.
Chris Nahr

Postby Sergey » February 1st, 2009, 1:51 pm

I'll look into fixing it first before introducing a new page.

Something else I've noticed while testing it on 64-bit Vista VM. Some controls on browser dialogs don't resize correctly. Things like toolbar buttons for instance. I've also noticed that columns don't resize correctly either and look kind of bad. I may need to look into that as well.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby Sergey » March 1st, 2009, 3:00 pm

Hi Chris,

Just wanted to let you know that I was able to fix that issue w/o introducing a new page.

I've also taken the time to investigate the browsers column sizing issue I've noticed on 120 DPI. I'm happy to report that issue is fixed as well. All browsers should scale their ListView columns correctly now. That also includes the scenario where user changes VS's Environment font, available on VS 2008 only I believe.

The patch should be in the next version (no ETA yet). Thanks for reporting the problem.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Postby Sergey » June 7th, 2009, 2:13 pm

Hi Chris,

The new version that addresses the issue you reported is out.

Thanks.
Sergey @ USysWare
Sergey

Return to DPack Support